You Know You're Tired When...
By: Various Authors
- You think twice before lying down on the floor because of the energy it takes to get up.
- You think twice before going to your basement because you will eventually have to come back upstairs.
- It seems you always feel that two or three days ago you ran an ultra even though it has been several weeks.
- You are envious of golfers.
- You think about retiring from competition.
- You see runners in a race that you have only seen before or after a race, never during a race.
- You start looking for someone that you used to think that was as slow as molasses but they seem to be faster now.
- Your mind says that you need to run 20 but your body screams to stop at 10.
- You really look forward to the run being over very early in the run.
- You find mountains in your regular training runs that you had never known that existed (you also live in Kansas).
- You think that you are crossing Handies Peak in the Hardrock course and you just went over an overpass in N.J.
- You wake up after sleeping 9 hours and feel like you slept 2 hours.
- You start finding lots of things that you have to do on Saturday morning.
- Add your thoughts to this list.
- You're running down the trail and see rocks and roots that you normally would stride right over without a second thought; you see them, you think about them, you know you should be able to step right over them, you "try" to stride over them, but you trip nonetheless!
- While walking to the office, you're overtaken on the street by elderly tourists.
- Your massage therapist asks you to stop snoring so loud.
- You can't sleep at night and can't stay awake during meetings at work.
- You sit down in the port-a-john instead of using the urinal.
- "I'm going to have a bath instead of a shower.. that way I don't have to stand on my feet".
- You fall asleep in the dentist's chair while having your teeth cleaned.
- You put your toddler down before attempting to climb the stairs to take them to bed.
- You find the home project list more appealing than going out for a run.
- You tell yourself that you need to get an early jump at work...instead of
- You begin to agree with your wife...ultras are crazy.
- After a long one--in want of fluids--you go to an ATM, put your Driver's License in the slot by mistake thereby setting off a silent alarm. While waiting for the money the police come and mistake your tiredness for drunkenness and make you walk a straight line, which you can't do.
- You name becomes the office term for "sleeping behind your desk" after a co-worker catches you with a digital camera and e-mails it to everyone (but the boss--thank God).
- When getting out of your car, you open the door and you sit there with one leg in and leg out for a minute or so....
- When getting out of your car after a race, you open the door and you just sit there.....
- You count posting to the ultra list as a long training run.
- You sit and stare out the window, because watching TV is too demanding.
- A woman pushing twins in a double stroller makes it to the top of a hill sooner than me as I'm practicing race walking. That just happened an hour ago.
- You know you are tired after running your second ultra in 2 days and you go to push start the car, which had a perpetual bad starter, and it takes 100 feet to get it rolling fast enough rather than the customary 40-50.